Published on October 5th, 2020 | by TLV News0
Spring Break is Cancelled: University of Mississippi Announces Spring 2021 Calendar
Ole Miss to keep health, safety protocols in place through spring semester
The University of Mississippi has announced a modified academic calendar for the Spring 2021 semester, as well as details regarding Commencement activities for 2020 and 2021 graduates – all with continued emphasis on health and safety protocols to protect students, faculty and staff due to the COVID-19 global pandemic.
In a message to the campus community on Monday, October 5, Chancellor Glenn Boyce outlined key items looking ahead to the spring while acknowledging the hard work and dedication from so many on campus that made a fall semester possible.
“In spite of the many challenges we have faced and continue to tackle since the onset of the pandemic, I’m grateful and humbled by the incredible commitment and determination of our university community to look after all of our students as well as our faculty and staff,” Boyce said. “We remain committed to delivering the education, experience and value that is synonymous with Ole Miss.”
Spring 2021 Health and Safety Protocols
The established public health protocols and parameters outlined in the university’s Campus Ready Plan will remain in effect, including wearing masks and practicing social distancing.
In addition, classroom capacity and engagement requirements for the fall will continue into the spring semester. Course formats for spring 2021 will be determined and made known before registration so students can take this into consideration.
Condensed Spring Schedule
- Martin Luther King Jr. holiday (UM closed) will remain on the calendar for Jan. 18, 2021.
- Classes will begin as originally scheduled on Jan. 19, 2021.
- Spring break will be canceled to complete the semester as quickly as possible while mitigating risks associated with travel.
- Good Friday holiday (UM closed) will remain on the calendar for April 2, 2021.
- Classes will end April 23, 2021, which is one week earlier than previously scheduled.
- Final exams will be completed by April 30, 2021.
- Faculty will remain on contract until May 15, 2021.
For more information, visit the academic calendar for spring 2021 on the registrar’s site.
The university will plan two commencement ceremonies – one for graduates of the class of 2020 and one for the class of 2021 – both in May 2021. If COVID-19 restrictions are still in place, the university will make and announce any adjustments to the formats of both events. Additional details will be shared as they are finalized.
- Class of 2021 Commencement – The main ceremony and most individual ceremonies will be held May 1, 2021. Some individual ceremonies may take place the day before or day after May 1. Details about individual ceremonies will follow.
- Class of 2020 Commencement – The main ceremony and most individual ceremonies will be held May 8, 2021. Some individual ceremonies may take place the day before. Details about individual ceremonies will follow.
“We consider it a great privilege to celebrate our graduates and their accomplishments during Commencement each year, and we are pleased to announce ceremony dates for the Class of 2021 as well as the Class of 2020,” Boyce said. “While we were unable to hold an in-person event for the Class of 2020 this past May because of the pandemic, we are eager to welcome them back to campus to celebrate and honor their incredible achievements, character and spirit.”
For the most up-to-date information regarding the university’s COVID-19 activities, visit https://coronavirus.olemiss.edu/.