Rebels ready to take on Gamecocks in SEC Tournament Battle
The Ole Miss Basketball Team was in attendance last night to watch the Missouri/South Carolina Game. The winner, South Carolina, will take on the Rebels tonight at approximately 8:15 pm. The game will be carried live by the SEC Network. The Local Voice’s Taylor Rayburn will cover the game. You can follow him at @LocalAthletics on twitter.
The Gamecocks (16-15), held off the 9-23 Tigers of Missouri 63-54.
Ole Miss will look to improve their NCAA Tournament resume with a win tonight. As a team, the Rebels are averaging 74 points per game compared to South Carolina’s 65.
Game notes and statistics tell the story:
• Ole Miss returns to Nashville, the site of its 2013 SEC Tournament title, tonight to face South Carolina The Rebels are 5-5 all time in SEC Tournament games in Nashville.
• Ole Miss has posted 20 wins for the seventh time in nine seasons under head coach Andy Kennedy. The Rebels recorded just seven 20-win campaigns in the 96 seasons before Kennedy’s arrival. Only Florida (8) and Kentucky (8) have more 20-win seasons in the SEC over the last nine years.
• The Rebels have 36 wins against SEC foes over the last three years trailing only Florida and Kentucky in the SEC.
• Ole Miss ranks third in the nation in free throw percentage, hitting 77.7 percent of its attempts. The Rebels have hit 368 of their last 469 (.785) attempts from the line. Junior G Stefan Moody leads the SEC and ranks seventh in the nation shooting 91.2 percent from the free throw line.
• Head coach Andy Kennedy recently passed Alabama’s Wimp Sanderson for the third-most wins in SEC history with by a coach in his first nine years in the league at one school with 191. He trails only Kentucky’s Joe B. Hall (205) and Florida’s Billy Donovan (193).
• Junior G Stefan Moody is averaging 18.6 ppg in SEC play, which is tied for the league lead. Moody also leads the conference in steals in SEC play with 2.0/game and ranks fourth in 3-pointers made at 2.4/game.
• Senior G Jarvis Summers leads the league in assists in SEC play at 5.3/game and has posted 86 assists in his last 15 games. Summers is the SEC active career leader in points (1,603), assists (511), minutes (3,794) and wins (83), and is just the fourth player in SEC history with 1,600 career points and 500 career assists.
Carver Rayburn was born and raised an Ole Miss Rebel in Oxford, Mississippi. He has worked for many newspapers and magazines in both editorial and advertising, including OffBeat Magazine, The Hattiesburg American, The Meridian Star, The Neshoba Democrat, The Madison County Journal, The Clarke County Tribune, The New Albany Gazette, Southeastern Football Saturdays, and Rebel Yell. He currently lives in New Orleans and has a four-year-old son, Hart. You can contact Carver at email@example.com.
Dear visitor to TheLocalVoice.net:
Please disable your ad blocking software on your device
and whitelist TheLocalVoice.net.
We appreciate you using our site and the ad revenue is vital to our mission to
continue to bring you the best local entertainment, information, and news
that Oxford, Ole Miss and North Missisippi has to offer.
Thank you for your support!
Your friends at The Local Voice
Download the current Local Voice PDF
Looking for Puzzle Solutions? They’re inside The Local Voice PDF!