Published on September 24th, 2020 | by TLV News1
Oxford-Lafayette County Economic Development Foundation Launches New Remote Work Initiative Pilot Program
Oxford-Lafayette County, MS Economic Development Foundation (EDF) has been selected to participate in TVA’s new Remote Work Ready Pilot Program. The program, developed by TVA Economic Development, in partnership with FlexJobs, is designed to connect local residents with additional remote work job opportunities and assist communities in diversifying their economic development strategy. Through https://remotejobs.oxfordms.com, those interested are provided information on resume writing, remote job opportunities and in-demand skills for remote jobs.
The Remote Worker program will provide new jobs for people in the Oxford and Lafayette County community who need it the most. When filling out the form, simply put in your name and address, and the EDF will manage the flexjobs subscriptions. Registrants will be notified in an email with access details as soon as it is approved.
This program is being supplemented by a generous grant through BancorpSouth. This grant will cover the cost of an additional 50 flexjobs.com memberships specifically for low and moderate income households in Lafayette County. This enhancement to the remote work opportunity will make it available as broadly as possible.
The initiative provides the EDF with free FlexJobs memberships, which offer such benefits as:
- A search feature to explore “vetted” jobs of potential interest in 50+ career fields;
- More than 170 jobs skills tests that can be taken limitless times to showcase/improve career abilities;
- Webinars with career experts and hiring managers to help in job searches;
- Special notification for early registration to members-only access FlexJobs Virtual Job Fairs, hiring events and special employer spotlight webinars;
- Alert emails that match remote and flexible jobs related to a member’s profile; and
- A personal dashboard to help stay organized, motivated, and educated.
“A community’s ability to adapt to changing workforce needs is critical in the ever-evolving world of economic development. Understanding that remote work can provide opportunities for a community to build its talent pipeline can really be impactful to economic success, and TVA is proud to continue to provide innovative solutions for job opportunities in the Valley,” said John Bradley, TVA Senior Vice President of Economic Development.
“We feel that the changing times need new ways to solve problems. TVA and BancorpSouth are helping the EDF to create opportunities for 100 new and better jobs in Lafayette County. These opportunities will span the diverse skill sets, back grounds, ages and interests of the people of Lafayette County. We will retain our talent and bring in economic benefit from around the world.” said Jon Maynard, President and CEO of the EDF.
FlexJobs is a premium online job service for professionals seeking flexible work, specializing in full-time and part-time remote jobs, employee and freelance jobs, and on-site jobs with flexible, part-time, and alternative schedules. Since its start in 2007, FlexJobs has helped more than 4 million people in their job searches and has created the largest vetted database of legitimate flexible job opportunities in over 50 career categories. In addition, FlexJobs provides robust career support, including curated expert resources and career coaching services, to partner with job seekers in all phases of their journey.
The Tennessee Valley Authority is a corporate agency of the United States that provides electricity for business customers and local power companies serving 10 million people in parts of seven southeastern states. TVA receives no taxpayer funding, deriving virtually all of its revenues from sales of electricity. In addition to operating and investing its revenues in its electric system, TVA provides flood control, navigation and land management for the Tennessee River system and assists local power companies and state and local governments with economic development and job creation. More information is available at TVA.com.
EDF’s mission is to be a leader in creating opportunities for responsible economic investment, thereby raising the per capita income for all citizens of Lafayette County. In support of this effort, the Foundation works to:
• Be responsive to local business and industry;
• To develop and support a culture of entrepreneurship and enhance technology based entrepreneurship in Lafayette County;
- Be a responsible vehicle to preserve a positive business environment in Lafayette County and throughout the region;Facilitate technology transfer at the University of Mississippi into the community;
• Support broad-based community efforts which improve the quality of life in Lafayette County and yield economic benefits.