More than 1,407,000 people have now been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in Mississippi. Vaccination benefits you even if you have already had COVID-19.
Most COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths are now among unvaccinated Mississippians.
COVID-19 Case and Death Summary
Cases reported in the past week: 1,971
Positive test results reported to MSDH between August 31 and September 6, as of 3 p.m. yesterday.
Deaths reported in the past week: 32
COVID-19 related deaths reported to MSDH or determined from death certificate reports between August 31 and September 6, as of 3 p.m. yesterday.
Total Mississippi COVID-19 cases: 514,171
Total Mississippi COVID-19 deaths: 10,285
Long-Term Care Facilities
- Current active outbreaks: 38
An outbreak is considered any confirmed COVID-19 case among LTC facility residents or employees.
COVID-19 data reported by schools for the week ending November 19. Fewer schools reported this week due to their Thanksgiving break.
- Number of schools reporting: 363
- New K-12 student cases for this reporting week: 171
- New teacher/staff cases for this reporting week: 37
Mississippi’s hospital burden remains exceptionally high, as a shortage of adult and children’s ICU beds continues.
- Patients currently hospitalized for confirmed COVID-19: 201
- Patients currently in intensive care for confirmed COVID-19: 58
COVID-19 Hospitalizations by Date
Cases by Date of Illness
This chart tracks COVID-19 cases according to the date the person first became ill, rather than the date of test results. It’s the standard way of following the course of a disease in a population. The black average line helps identify upward or downward trending. (In the few cases where date of illness has not yet been determined, testing date is used.) Since we are still receiving reports of illnesses that began up to two weeks ago, expect the more recent dates on this chart to change.
Deaths by Date of Occurrence
What You Can Do
- Be vaccinated. Vaccination is the most powerful step you can take to resume normal community life and stop unnecessary deaths.
- Be tested for COVID-19 if you have symptoms or believe you may have been exposed. See our guide to local testing providers and free testing at http://HealthyMS.com/covid19test
- If you are unvaccinated, wear a mask whenever you are indoors, away from home.
- If you are over 65, or have a chronic illness, avoid all large indoor gatherings, even if you are vaccinated.