Published on February 15th, 2016 | by TLV News0
Chef John Currence Partners with World-Renowned Chefs and National Music Act To Host Light In April Fundraiser on April 9
Dinner Parties Will Be Held at Private Homes around Oxford and Concert Scheduled to Benefit Move On Up Mississippi
OXFORD, Miss. –Chef John Currence announced last Friday that on Saturday, April 9, 2016, he will host Light In April, a fundraising event featuring James Beard Foundation award winning and nominated chefs from around the country.
The day will begin with a Breakfast of Champions 5K and kids Superhero Fun Run. Runners will be treated to breakfast and Snopes Family Pilsner beer, provided by Big Bad Breakfast and Yalobusha Brewing Company.
Saturday evening, chefs will cook dinner parties in private homes in Oxford. The intimate dinners will seat 12 guests and feature menu items inspired by each chef’s respective restaurant. Guests will be able to buy tickets for specific chef dinners.
The impressive roster of participating chefs includes:
- Hugh Acheson of Five & Ten, The National (Athens, Georgia), Empire State South (Atlanta, Georgia), and The Florence (Savannah, Georgia);
- Sean Brock of Husk, McCrady’s, and Minero (Charleston, South Carolina and Nashville, Tennessee);
- Floyd Cardoz of The Bombay Canteen, Paowalla (NYC, New York);
- John Fleer of Rhubarb (Asheville, North Carolina);
- George Mendes of Aldea (NYC, New York);
- Alon Shaya of Shaya (New Orleans, Louisiana);
- Isaac Toups of Toups Meatery (New Orleans, Louisiana);
- and Tandy Wilson of City House (Nashville, Tennessee).
Visiting chefs will be paired with a host chef who will be providing support for the dinners. Local chefs Andy Ticer, Michael Hudman, and Kelly English have volunteered to work alongside City Grocery Restaurant Group chefs.
Proceeds from the event will benefit Move On Up Mississippi, which provides grants to members of the Mississippi community that are doing significant work for a healthier future for the children of Mississippi.
A ticketed concert after party at The Lyric, featuring St. Paul & The Broken Bones, will follow the dinners. Before the concert, the Move On Up Mississippi board of directors will give a brief explanation of what the foundation hopes to achieve and recognize the major supporters.
Light In April
Saturday April 9, 2016
Breakfast of Champions 5K & Kids Superhero Fun Run
- Big Bad Breakfast Parking Lot- 719 N. Lamar Blvd, Oxford, Miss. 38655
- 7:30 am- 10:30 am
- Registration Price: -Adult (Includes race tee-shirt, breakfast, beer): $25 or $35 on race day; -Kids 12 & Under (Includes race water-bottle, breakfast, entry to onsite bounce house): $5
- Registration Website: http://www.racesonline.com/events/breakfast-of-champions-5k-fun-run
- Various Locations
- 6:30 pm
- Ticket Price: $250 (Ticket includes a 4-course meal in a private residence with wine pairing, as well as VIP entry to after party at The Lyric.)
- For dinner reservations, please call: 662-234-9397
- The Lyric Oxford- 1006 Van Buren Avenue, Oxford, Miss. 38655
- 8:30 pm – Midnight; Doors Open at 7:30pm
- Opening Act, Young Buffalo starts playing at 8:30pm
- St. Paul & The Broken Bones takes the stage at 10:00pm
- Ticket Price: -For General Public: $35; -VIP Tickets (Includes open bar, and light desserts on the upstairs balcony): $85 (ONLY 30 VIP TICKETS AVAILABLE)
- Purchase Tickets: http://www.thelyricoxford.com